Friday, September 3, 2010

F.O.R.M::: Sestina_____ ["A jungle Outing"].

Topic: F.O.R.M.- Sestina.
Jack Huber Sestina.
The sestina is a very structured form of six sestets (six-line stanzas) followed by a triplet (or tercet, a three-line stanza) for a total of 39 lines. What sets it apart, however, is the re-use of the final word in each line of the first stanza in a specific order that is different in each subsequent stanza. All six repeating words appear in the triplet as well.The sestet is usually strictly metered and is commonly written in decasyllables, or lines of ten syllables each, but other formal structures are acceptable. Rhyming is not a requirement of the form, but if the first stanza rhymes (i.e. a-b-c-a-b-c or a-b-a-b-a-b) , the balance will rhyme by default, since the rhyming words are the ones repeated. However, the pattern of rhyme will only follow the sequence of last words for each stanza. In a rhyming pattern, lines ending in a sound designated by “a” only rhyme with other “a” lines, “b” lines only with other “b” lines, and so on. The notation for the last words is “1” through “6,” for each of the six lines, thus the pattern of use is as follows:Stanza 1: 1 2 3 4 5 6Stanza 2: 6 1 5 2 4 3Stanza 3: 3 6 4 1 2 5Stanza 4: 5 3 2 6 1 4Stanza 5: 4 5 1 3 6 2Stanza 6: 2 4 6 5 3 1Stanza 7: 6 2, 1 4, 5 3The final triplet, using all six words in three lines, is a point in the sestet that can vary from form, using a different pattern (i.e. 1 2, 3 4, 5 6), or perhaps a couplet (two-line stanza, i.e. 6 2 1, 4 5 3). A rare format even ends on a haiku or senryu, utilizing the six repeated words in the accepted 5-7-5 syllabic pattern.
So, in the example below, 1=day, 2=cold, 3=place, 4=café, 5=hold and 6=embrace.
Example:A
Picturesque Café
Regardless of the time of day,
or if a tempest's rain is cold,
my mind will wander to the place
where first we met, that quaint café,
when both our lives were still on hold;
we hadn't had our first embrace.

The world had left me to embrace
a job I suffered through each day,
no inspiration taking hold,
relentless as a common cold.
But in this picturesque café
my life was never out of place.

I hadn't known that in this place
I'd found a reason to embrace
my future and this old café.
I made my mind up on this day
that though the season's turning cold,
the promise of its warmth I'd hold.

A notion started, keeping hold,
that there was something in this place
which bore the brunt of passions cold,
where many felt love's kind embrace,
escaping from their trying day--
I'd someday own this aged café.

The atmosphere of my café,
an ambiance of which would hold
the patrons' kindness through the day-
this would be the only place
to offer all a warm embrace,
a lively shelter from the cold.

Through summer's drought and winter's cold,
my friends would come to my café
to help each other, love, embrace
camaraderie, while couples hold
each other, like no other place
to spend their lives day after day.

I longingly embrace the cold
and greet the day in our cafe,
take hold of this, our perfect place.
Copyright © 2009 by Jack Huber


Manohar Bhatia Jack,This is a very difficult one, but challenging.What's this life if its not a challenge?I am trying Jack to come up with this one.Will I be able to do it?Manohar Bhatia.on Tuesday ·

Jack Huber I'm sure you will, Manohar, but it can take time--Jack.

Manohar Bhatia Dear Jack,I have taken nearly 2 hours to write this F.O.R.M. but I feel relieved that I have written something for you to check mate::::::::::::::::;;;
______ [ A Jungle Outing] ______
[" Lions,tigers,snakes roam in the wild
as we prepare to go hunting
for their beautiful priceless skins,
Me and my team of greedy friends
drive in open jeep for outing
bravely facing danger to lives] 1-2-3-4-5-6

[" Group of daredevils don't care for lives
as they are born fearless and wild
ready to go for an outing
risking everything for a hunting
to merge as a cartel of friends
all eager to possess the skins."] 6-1-5-2-4-3

[" Of what use are these animal skins
when facing a ban in our lives
as well as for our deadly friends
their thinking so stupid and wild
instead finding job to hunting
Surprise, all rushing for outing."] 3-6-4-1-2-5

[" None thinks of difficult outing
where roaming harms our delicate skins
to walk in the sun and go hunting
endangering our delicate lives
and skip our best thoughts in the wild
for us as well as for our friends"] 5-3-2-6-1-4

["Who are these bunch of dirty friends
without rational thinking for outing
little realising all going wild
instead of saving full their skins
and bring stability to lives
not dream about doing stupid hunting"] 4-5-1-3-6-2

[" It was task to find job in hunting
most difficult for my mad friends
by putting a stake on their lives
to go in jungle as outing
instead of protecting their skins
and hard to return from the wild"] 2-4-6-5-3-1

[" I do find hunting and outing
in the wild with friends
exciting but for our skins and lives!"] 2,5 1,4 3,6
____ The End ____
copyright @ManoharBhatia.
All rights are reserved.
Cathy Robinson
this was my first and only sestina...i wrote it in about fifteen minutes during a workshop. surprisingly, i was the only one to get past stanza 3...maybe i should try another. let me know what you think.
Dream bridge-
By Cathy Robinson_______
[walking on a bridge of dreams
i quiver at the sight below my knees
buckle and i freeze
dear God, don't let it break
the water's deep and I hope
this bridge will remain strong

right now i'm anything but strong
inching slow upon these dreams
looking everywhere for hope
but finding only terror below
i could really use a break
deep breaths won't help, i freeze

if i fall will the water freeze
my body? trying to stand strong
feet unsure, but my will won't break
deciding to trust the dreams
God gave me, the water below
stills, and i gain new hope

resting in this new found hope
i smile, and the water freezes
all of a sudden what's below
makes me feel almost strong
can't help but trust these dreams
the One who gave them doesn't break

finally the lonesome fear breaks
and light shines on in hope
that i'll not only walk on dreams
but even when my flesh freezes
my spirit remains God-strong
and i don't worry about below

for all that creeps and lies below
pushes my faith not to break
gives me power, a heart so strong
that i can give another hope
pick them up when their flesh freezes
and help them to walk on dreams

so if your dreams threaten to break
don't look below, look to hope
while others freeze, you will be strong.]
____ The End ____

Jack Huber Manohar, in S3 you have repeated "hunting" instead of using "outing," otherwise this conforms perfectly. As a suggestion, since you are not using a classic meter or rhyme, you may want to fill in missing articles (the, an, etc.) to smooth out your lines, i.e. "to go in jungle as outing" could be "to go in the jungle for an outing."Nicely written, Cathy. I especially like the envoy, which sums it up beautifully.Jackon Tuesday ·

Anthea Burson I've long thought of writing one of these. What a perfect time to actually do it. I'm inspired by others' successes as well! I miss my Newton poetry group. (Jobs, travel and families took their toll and the group is no more- and now I am on the road as well, so online is great..
The coffee isn't as good, but you can't have everything. lol)
GREAT job you two!!
Manohar! In just two hours!? I am impressed. Cathy.. wow. Sometimes inspiration hits and things just seem to write themselves, huh? I definitely thing you could try another!And now, I shall try my first. (check back in a week or two- LOL!)
Manohar Bhatia Jack,Thank you very much for coming to my poem........ yes there is typo error in hunting.....in s/3, the last line word should be 'outing'Whew! I have passed the test and here is a bouquet of roses for you as my appreciation!And Anthea Burson, a big thank you for reading and liking.

Jack Huber I want to congratulate all of you who wrote sestinas this week. This is one of the most difficult forms (I think only the cleave is more challenging) and you all did very well. Most other forms will now seem much easier by comparison...Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment